The latest improvement in telecommunication is brought to us by fiber optics equipment. They help transmit signals to much greater distances without loss. They are much higher and better than any regular wireless connections when they work at their maximum level of speed. Unlike wireless connections, fiber optics do not experience any signal loss.
But what are optical fibers? These are transparent fiber glass or plastic covered in a casing made of material with low refraction index. With the help of internal reflections, it is capable of transmitting light throughout its length then these signals are transmitted as a means of communication. This made way to optical fiber communication systems that makes transfer of voice, data and images possible. It has several features that make it convenient to use.
Why fiber optic cables are used in communication more and more? Because there are many advantages of fiber optic cables in the communication system as following.
- Provides far greater transmission bandwidth compared to the normal cooper cable system. It has a high bandwidth potential with a frequency within the range of 1013 to 1016 Hz.
- They are lighter and far smaller than copper cable wires because of its small diameter. Fiber optics is tube-like structure no greater than a human hair.
- Optical fiber cable are electrical insulators thus they do not exhibit earth loop and interface problems. This characteristic is an advantage because it can be used even in an electrically hazardous environment.
- Transmission is easy and without interference because they form a dielectric waveguide that prevent electromagnetic and radio frequency interference. Transmission of signals is not affected by an electrically noisy environment.
- They have high signal security.
- The most modern fiber optic system and solutions have low transmission loss compared to copper wires.
- As technology improves, optical fibers became more and more flexible and rugged. Optical fiber cables are easy to store, transport, handle and install compare to copper wires.
- Optical fibers are easy to maintain and due to low loss of property, their system reliability is much better compared to conventional electrical conductor system.
- You don’t have to worry about potential cost as the class used in the making of fibers is made from sand, a very abundant material.
These are just some of the many advantages of fiber optics solutions or systems in telecommunications. As the technology evolves, so is the communication system. The use of optical fibers become more rampant as more and more people relies on its stability and capacity to transmit important information without loss.